Unemployment Fund Aaria

Established on 1 January 2021, Unemployment Fund Aaria is a fund for wage earners with an employment relationship in the private or public sector, regardless of the employer.

The fund has about 100,000 members, most of whom are insured through their trade union. Fund membership is also allowed without trade union membership. We pay our members earnings-related unemployment benefit for the duration of unemployment, temporary layoff or labour policy-related measures and a job alternation compensation for the duration of job alternation leave. We also provide mobility aid. We are updating our website during 2021. The Federation of Unemployment Funds in Finland (TYJ) has published Guide to benefits in English, Estonian and Russian. The guide provides information about the benefits paid by the unemployment funds. TYJ Guide to unemployment fund’s benefits 2022 TYJ Tootukassade huvitiste teatmik 2022 TYJ Кассы взаимопомощи справочник по пособиям на случай безработицы 2022  

Customer service

If you have any questions, please contact our customer service through our electronic services, telephone or e-mail. Electronic services of Unemployment Fund Aaria

Telephone service: (+358) 020 7655 900

Open on Mondays from 9.00 to 12.00, Tuesdays from 12.00 to 14.00, Wednesdays from 9.00 to 12.00 and Thursdays from 9.00 to 12.00. If you have questions, please call: (+358) 020 7655 900  

E-mail address


Our postal address

Työttömyyskassa Aaria Opastinsilta 8B FI-00520 Helsinki, Finland You can also send your application and attachments by post. For more information on unemployment benefits, please visit the TYJ website.

Become a member

Apply for a membership of the unemployment fund by filling in the membership application. The earliest possible start date of your membership is the date of your application’s arrival at the unemployment fund. Once your application has been processed, you will receive a confirmation on your membership and an invoice for your membership fees.  

Who can receive an earnings-related unemployment benefit?

The earnings-related unemployment benefit is tied to the recipient’s income and paid by unemployment funds to unemployed members. You can receive earnings-related unemployment benefit from an unemployment fund if:
  • you are a member of an unemployment fund;
  • you are under 68 years of age;
  • you are fully or partially unemployed (e.g. in part-time work or temporarily laid off);
  • you have registered as a job-seeker at the TE Office;
  • you have been employed for at least 26 calendar weeks during your membership of the unemployment fund, thus meeting the work requirement.

Membership requirement:

The duration of the membership requirement is 26 weeks. If you have been a member of the unemployment fund for at least 26 weeks, you are eligible for earnings-related unemployment benefit.  

Work requirement:

If you have met the work requirement during your membership of the unemployment fund, you are eligible for earnings-related unemployment benefit. The duration of the work requirement is 26 calendar weeks. Your work requirement is accrued by each week during which you have worked for at least 18 hours. The salary or wages paid for the work must have been in accordance with a collective agreement. Work during which you have received partial sickness allowance or reduced sick pay will not be acceptable for the work requirement. The work requirement may consist of several stints of work, but the requirement must be met during the period under review. The duration of the period under review is 28 months and is calculated backwards from the date of registering as a job-seeker.  

Applying for an earnings-related unemployment benefit

If you become unemployed or are temporarily laid off, follow these steps:  

1.      Register at the TE Office.

Once you are informed of your dismissal or temporary layoff, register as a job-seeker at the TE Office on the date of dismissal or the first day of temporary layoff at the latest. The TE Office will send a labour market statement concerning your situation to the unemployment fund for the processing of your application.  

2.      Fill in an application for earnings-related unemployment benefit.

You can fill in your first application for earnings-related unemployment benefit two weeks after your dismissal or the start of your temporary layoff. You can fill in the application in the electronic services or send a filled-in application and attachments on paper by post. The processing time of the first application is about 3 weeks. The subsequent applications are filled in for each full calendar month or four full calendar weeks (Mon–Sun) at a time. Always apply for earnings-related unemployment benefit in arrears. Fill in the daily columns of the application according to your situation; whether you have been unemployed or temporarily laid off, carried out part-time work or participated in employment services. Please note that you must apply for an earnings-related unemployment benefit within 3 months of your first day of unemployment.  

3.      Send the required attachments

To process your application, the unemployment fund needs information on your employment relationship. Please deliver at least the following attachments to the fund:
  •  Salary certificate for the 26 weeks of work preceding the unemployment or temporary layoff. We primarily receive salary information from the Incomes Register but we recommend attaching a salary certificate to your application to expedite its processing.
  • Employment certificate or contract.
  • Potential notice or termination or agreement on the termination of your employment relationship.
  • Tax card. We recommend ordering a revised tax card from the MyTax service for the payment of the earnings-related unemployment benefit. The tax card can be directly sent from the MyTax service to the unemployment fund electronically.
  • Any decisions on other social benefits or pensions.
You can send the attachments with the application or afterwards through the electronic services or by post.  

You can also receive an earnings-related unemployment benefit for the duration or part-time work or partial layoff

If you are working part-time or you are partially laid off, you may receive an adjusted earnings-related unemployment benefit. Register at the TE Office and fill in an application for earnings-related unemployment benefit by following the instructions above. In addition to the attachments listed above, deliver a payslip on the salary or wages paid during the application period.  

Job alternation compensation

Job alternation leave refers to an arrangement agreed upon between the employee and the employer where the employee has job alternation leave and the employer hires a job-seeker from the TE Office to replace the employee for the duration of their leave. The unemployment fund pays job alternation compensation for the duration of the job alternation leave to members who have joined the unemployment fund at least 26 weeks before the start of their job alternation leave. Job alteration leave requires that:
  • your working hours have amounted to at least 75% of the working hours of a full-time employee;
  • you have been in a continuous employment relationship with the same employer for at least 13 months before the start of the job alternation leave; and
  • before the start of the job alternation leave, you have at least 20 years of work history in accordance with the employment pension legislation.
For more information on job alternation compensation, please visit the TYJ website. If you have any questions about applying for job alternation compensation, please contact our customer service.  

Mobility aid

Mobility aid is a benefit designed to encourage people to accept work further away from home. The mobility aid compensates some of your commute or moving expenses when starting work or work-related training. You may be entitled to mobility aid if:
  • you are entitled to an unemployment benefit before starting the work.
  • the duration of your back-and-forth commute is more than 3 hours a day in full-time work and more than 2 hours in part-time work.
  • the duration of your new employment relationship is at least two months.
  • you participate in training related to an employment relationship with a duration of more than two months. The duration of the back-and-forth trip in full-time work must be over 3 hours. The duration of the back-and-forth trip in part-time work must be over 2 hours.
As a result of an amendment made due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you may receive mobility aid if your back-and-forth commute for your full-time work is more than 2 hours a day and your employment relationship starts no later than 31 March 2021. If your full-time employment relationship starts 1 April 2021 or later, the commute requirement is 3 hours a day. Apply for mobility aid with a separate application. You can deliver the application as an attachment through our electronic services or post it to Opastinsilta 8 B, FI-00520 Helsinki, Finland. Attach a copy of your employment contract or a similar report certified by your employer on the duration of your employment relationship and your working hours. If you have any questions about applying for mobility aid, please contact our customer service.